This post may include affiliate links. Learn more
Drink enough water to support your cycle
Water is so underrated. Not only your body needs it to function, but it also benefits your skin and menstrual cycle.
A study conducted in January 2021 aimed to understand how water helps women in their periods. And the results are pretty clear.
A group of women was asked to drink between 1,6 and 2 liters of water for a defined period of time.
By drinking enough water, women noticed their periods becoming shorter and less painful! Some of them also noticed less acne.
Researchers explain these results by the fact that water reduces uterine contraction.
Moreover, water is essential for a good digestion which play a role in hormone health. If your body can’t eliminate excess hormones, it will add up and create hormone imbalances.
But that’s not all.
Drinking enough helps reduce water retention occurring during periods. Aka the reason why you get bloated af and your ankles triple in volume.
I mean… All this isn’t surprising after all. Once again, it proves that you can treat menstrual issues can with simple things.
Obviously, drinking enough water alone won’t make all your problems go away. It’s your lifestyle that comes into play here.
Signs you don’t drink enough water
The amount of water you should drink depends on your body and physical activity.
For women, it stands somewhere between 1,6 and 2,5 liters. If you aren’t drinking enough, your body will show it in different ways :
Water retention. If your body doesn’t get enough water, it will keep what it already has. Kind of logical, right? Drinking more won’t lead to water retention, it’s actually otherwise.
Thirst. Being thirsty is a sign that you’re already a bit dehydrated. So don’t wait to be thirsty for getting your water in!
Fatigue. Your body is mainly made of water. So when it doesn’t have enough, it won’t function properly and slow down.
Instead of taking your 4th coffee of the day because you feel sluggish, drink a big glass of water instead.
Digestive problems. Water is necessary for your body to eliminate what it doesn’t need anymore. If your bowel movement isn’t going as normal, you might need to drink more water.
Tips to drink enough water every day
I know, drinking 2 liters of water might not be your top priority on busy days.
Here are a few things that might help:
- Make it a habit. Fix a time you’ll drink a big glass of water (i.e. as soon as you wake up or before going to bed).
- Find a bottle that works for you. Even though you can now get yourself a connected bottle to remind you to drink, I have a cheaper solution for you – the straw! I found that having a water bottle with straw makes me drink way more. It’s so easy, you don’t need your hands and end up drinking mindlessly.
- Fix yourself a goal. This is perfect to keep yourself accountable (i.e. I need to finish my bottle by 11 am).
- Add ice cubes to your smoothies. Not only does it make your smoothies so creamy, but you also get your water without realizing it.
- Eat foods rich in water, because eating is way more fun. Include lots of watermelons, honeydew, oranges but also tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, and spinach.
What about you? Do you have other tips to drink enough water daily? Leave them in the comments below!